We weathered the part of Beryl that came near us and stayed put yesterday to let things clear up ahead of us. This morning we weighed anchor, said goodbye to the space shuttle and headed for Titusville City Marina to fill our fuel and water tanks and pump out the holding tanks. When we tied up to the fuel dock Bob advised us not to go any further north because there was heavy rain predicted and he warned that Mosquito Lagoon offered little protection if the winds kicked up again. Ok, we said and asked if there was a grocery nearby and a place to tie up temporarily. We moved to the water and pumpout dock and Bob said we were welcome to stay there for an hour or so while we walked to the Save-A-Lot a few blocks away.
When we got to the office to pay for the fuel, Bob showed us the weather radar and we decided to pick up a mooring for the night. A walk to a marginal grocery and a marginal lunch later we motored out to the mooring field and managed to secure Escape Velocity on the second try. We spent the afternoon taking turns scraping off the last of the baked-on tape residue from the previous-previous boat name. This is all in preparation for some serious hull surface restoration we hope to do, or at least start, while we’re on the hard in St. Augustine.
It’s windy and bouncy at the moment with gusts in the mid 20s but we’re much more relaxed at the mooring than we were at anchor in these conditions. We hope we can make some serious distance tomorrow. Today we did two excellent dockings, one pretty good mooring and a walk to town for groceries. We’re easing into the cruising life.